Valerie I. Holder
Valerie Holder is a senior associate with Keesal, Young & Logan in its San Francisco office. Her practice focuses on civil litigation matters in the mortgage banking, securities, maritime, and employment industries. Valerie is an experienced litigation attorney with a robust practice, in state, federal, appellate, and arbitral forums. She has a strong commitment in promoting efficiency in the workplace and providing her clients with tailored technology-forward solutions to meet their specific needs. She joined Keesal, Young & Logan in 2014, in its Seattle office, after working for four years at another firm in the Greater Seattle area. In 2019, Valerie relocated and joined the firm’s San Francisco office.
Valerie’s mortgage banking experience in Washington, Oregon, and California, includes the defense of claims for wrongful foreclosure, breach of contract, fraud, negligence, unfair business practices, RESPA, TILA, FDCPA, FCRA, and violations of the California Homeowner’s Bill of Rights and Washington’s Deeds of Trust Act. Valerie also defends and advises the firm’s maritime clients with regard to issues involving the Jones Act, casualty response and investigations, vessel attachments and arrests, commercial disputes, third-party personal injury claims, and unseaworthiness claims. Her securities practice includes defending financial services firms and individual brokers in judicial and arbitral proceedings involving allegations of fraud, negligence, conversion, unsuitability, breach of fiduciary duty, failure to supervise, and violation of state and federal securities laws. Valerie also advises financial services firms with regard to pre-litigation customer disputes. Valerie defends employers against claims for wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation, defamation, and breach of contract.
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law (2010 – cum laude)
- B.A. (political science and communication), University of Washington (2006)
- Washington (2010)
- Oregon (2016)
- Alaska (2019)
- California (2019)
- All Washington and Oregon courts
- Alaska state courts
- California state courts
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
Examples of cases in which Valerie was lead counsel or played a significant role include:
- Jury verdict in mortgage banking litigation after a 12-day jury trial.
- Award in judicial foreclosure litigation following a bench trial.
- Numerous dispositive motions granted in favor of major financial institutions.
- Favorable rulings from the Washington Courts of Appeals following briefing and argument.
- Foreclosure Process: “Debt Collection” Under FDCPA? (April 30, 2014), USFN
- Selected to Northern California Women’s Edition Super Lawyers List (Thomson Reuters) (2020) (a designation limited to 5% of attorneys in a geographic region)
- Selected to Washington Women’s Edition Rising Star List (Thomson Reuters) (2019) (a designation limited to 2.5% of attorneys in a geographic region)
- Selected to Washington Rising Star List (Thomson Reuters) (2013–2019) (a designation limited to 2.5% of attorneys in a geographic region)