TERESA J. THONG
Teresa Thong is an associate with Keesal, Young & Logan in its Long Beach office. Her practice focuses on a broad range of civil litigation matters in the securities, employment, and mortgage banking industries. Teresa has handled all aspects of litigation, including recently helping to obtain a full award in a securities arbitration before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (via Zoom). Teresa also has spoken at a seminar attended by securities industries professionals regarding best practices for Zoom hearings.
In addition to her litigation practice, Teresa is also a member of KYL’s Privacy and Data Security practice. Teresa is certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals in United States private sector privacy law (CIPP/US). She has experience advising clients with compliance under both U.S. and international privacy laws, including the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), the California Financial Information Privacy Act, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
Teresa graduated summa cum laude from the City College of New York in 2016 with a B.A. in political science. She attended the City College of New York on an academic scholarship from the Macaulay Honors College. While there, Teresa received the Goldberg award as a member of the Skadden, Arps Honors Program in Legal Studies. Teresa’s thesis, “Solitary Confinement in the U.S.” was awarded the Stanley Feingold award for best essay in American politics by the Colin Powell School for Civic and Global Leadership.
Teresa received her law degree from UCLA School of Law in 2019. While in law school, Teresa served as a writing advisor for Legal Research and Writing, received training as a Restorative Justice leader, and was awarded the Masin Family Academic Excellence Gold award for the highest course performance in Advanced Corporate Law. Prior to entering the practice of law, Teresa was a competitive figure skater and figure skating coach in New York. She earned the designation of a U.S. Figure Skating Gold Medalist and the Gold Ice Skating Institute (ISI) judge certification.
- J.D., UCLA School of Law (2019)
- B.A. (political science), City College of New York (2016 – summa cum laude)
- CIPP/US (Certified Information Privacy Professional, U.S. – private sector)
- California (2019)
- “California Supreme Court Goes Retro: Dynamex Applies Retroactively to Independent Contractor Misclassification Claims” (January 2021) (available here)
- “The California Privacy Rights and Enforcement Act – aka ‘California Consumer Privacy Act 2.0′” (November 2020) (available here)
- “California District Court Halts Enforcement of AB 51’s Arbitration Ban” (January 30, 2020) (available here)
- “New Developments on New California Laws (January 24, 2020) (available here)