Steve Young is one of the name partners of Keesal, Young & Logan and is based in the firm’s Southern California office in Long Beach. Steve graduated in 1970 from the University of California, Los Angeles (cum laude) and thereafter obtained a J.D. degree from the University of Southern California in 1973. He has spent the last 45 years representing stock brokerage firms and their employees in a wide array of litigation, regulatory, and employment matters. Steve has handled well over 1,250 securities litigation and employment matters in federal and state courts, and in arbitrations before the NYSE, NASD, FINRA, and AAA. He has extensive trial experience, having litigated to verdict or award over 230 securities matters in over a dozen different states. Steve has also represented more than 50 investment brokerage firms and investment advisory firms and their employees in regulatory actions brought by the SEC, the NYSE, the NASD, FINRA, CFB Board, and the State of California. Steve has been recognized as a Southern California “Super Lawyer” in the category of Securities Litigation for seventeen consecutive years through 2020. He has also been recognized as a “Best Lawyer in America©” from 2009 through 2020. He has also just been selected as Lawyer of the Year – Securities in Litigation by Best Lawyers®. He has been a LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated attorney since 1993.
In addition to his litigation experience, Steve has been active in alternative dispute resolution and has successfully handled over 375 mediations.
Over the years he has been a speaker at seminars sponsored by FINRA and the Law & Compliance Division of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association and has spoken on a variety of issues, including: Handling Securities Cases, Handling Commodities Futures Cases, Regulatory Cases, Arbitration, Research Analyst Issues, Compliance, Supervision, and Discovery. He has been instrumental in the building and management of the Aquarium of the Pacific and has served on its Board of Directors and Executive Committee since 1997. He is also a member of the Peninsula Committee Children’s Hospital Los Angeles and an officer of the Whitney Young Children’s Foundation. He and his wife Marlene recently were named Palos Verdes Peninsula’s “Citizens of the Year” by the Chamber of Commerce in recognition of their 33-year history of volunteering and philanthropy.
- J.D., University of Southern California (1973)
- B.A. (cum laude), University of California, Los Angeles (1970)
- California (1973)
- All United States District Courts in California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Selected to Southern California Best Lawyers in America© List (Securities/Capital Markets Law) (2020)
- Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year – Securities Litigation” (2016 and 2019)
- Best Lawyers of America© (2009–2018)
- Selected to Southern California Super Lawyers List – Securities Litigation (Thomson Reuters) (2004–2021) (a designation limited to 5% of attorneys in a geographic region)
- AV® Preeminent™ peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell (1993–2018)
- Palos Verdes Peninsula’s “Citizens of the Year” (2010)
- Peninsula Committee Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (2009–2018)
- Whitney Young Children’s Foundation (2006–2018)
- Board of Directors/Executive Committee of the Aquarium of the Pacific (1997–2018)