PHILIP A. McLEOD
Phil McLeod is a shareholder with Keesal, Young & Logan in its San Francisco office. Phil regularly practices before all state and federal courts in California. Phil’s practice is on the defense side of business and financial litigation, mortgage banking, securities arbitration, regulatory investigations, disciplinary actions, and employment disputes. With more than three decades as a litigator, Phil has the depth and experience to successfully defend clients in these areas.
Phil has defended more than two hundred mortgage cases for lenders and loan servicers. These involve claims for wrongful foreclosure, breach of contract, negligence, fraud, violations of statutes such as RESPA, TILA, and ECOA, and lender and broker liability in general. These cases have been in every state and federal court in Northern California.
Over the last 37 years Phil has successfully arbitrated approximately one hundred securities cases to Awards. These cases have involved claims of fraud, negligence, misrepresentation, unsuitable solicitations, unauthorized activity, forgery, registration deficiencies, improper restricted and penny stock transactions, improperly administered accounts, offshore accounts, churning, inadequate due diligence, and inadequate supervision.
Phil has represented businesses and professionals at all stages of the regulatory process from informal inquiries, to examinations and investigations, to enforcement proceeding. The cases have involved allegations of accounting irregularities, sales practice violations, insider trading, trading ahead, failing to supervise, unauthorized activities away from the firm, embezzlement, failing to maintain required books and records, self-dealing, conflicts of interest, issuing inaccurate research and trade reporting.
Phil has defended numerous employment cases and regularly counsels clients about hiring from the competition, non-compete agreements, compensation issues, upfront loans, commission programs, separation agreements, and terminations.
Phil has led the defense of general litigation concerning contracts, trade secrets, estate planning, and insurance coverage. These cases have been in both court and private arbitrations.
- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law (1981)
- B.A (with honors), University of California at Santa Cruz (1976)
- California (1981)
- United States District Courts in California
- United States District Courts in Nevada
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- AV® Preeminent™ peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell (highest level of professional excellence)
- Selected to Northern California Super Lawyers List (Thomson Reuters) (2004–2019) (a designation limited to 5% of attorneys in a geographic region)
- Selected to Southern California Super Lawyers List (Thomson Reuters) (2005–2018) (a designation limited to 5% of attorneys in a geographic region)
- Los Angeles Magazine Southern California “Rising Star” (2004)