KRISTY H. SAMBOR
Kristy Sambor is a shareholder with Keesal, Young & Logan in its Long Beach office and currently serves on the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee. As a member of KYL’s Privacy & Data Security practice, Kristy advises businesses of all sizes on privacy and data security compliance and data breach response. She helps both domestic and international businesses weigh legal risk and reform their business practices to comply with federal and state privacy and breach notification laws, the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework, the pending California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), and more. Kristy’s privacy-by-design guidance empowers clients to self-asses their privacy and data security compliance as their businesses grow and evolve. Kristy is certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals in United States Privacy Law (CIPP/US).
Kristy’s practice also includes a broad range of civil litigation in both state and federal court and before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. Kristy has defended financial services firms and registered representatives in matters involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, negligence, unsuitability, and violation of federal and state securities and customer protection laws. She has defended securities firms in numerous multimillion-dollar actions involving sophisticated partnerships, high net worth investors, and alternative securities investments.
Kristy also acts as counsel with respect to a wide range of mortgage banking matters, including loan origination, loss mitigation, defective foreclosures process, lien priority, and property preservation claims. She also handles a variety of general business and admiralty litigation, including claims for breach of contract, property loss, and personal injury.
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law (2010). While in law school, Kristy served as Executive Editor for the San Diego International Law Journal and a traveling national competitor for the Appellate Moot Court Board. She also clerked for the California Attorney General’s Office and the U.S. Attorney General’s Office, and served as a Judicial Extern for the Honorable Judge Thomas J. Whelan of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California. In 2010, Kristy was named to the Order of Barristers for her achievements in oral advocacy and brief writing.
- B.A. (law, societies & justice (LSJ), political science, and geography), University of Washington (2007 – cum laude).
- CIPP/US (Certified Information Privacy Professional, U.S. – private sector)
- California (2010)
- All United States District Courts in California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Securities Alert: Today’s NYDFS Deadline for Vendor Security Assessments (linked here) (March 1, 2019) (client alert, KYL website)
- Blockchain and GDPR — Frenemies? (linked here) (July 2018), Cybersecurity Law & Strategy
- Securities Alert: It Will Soon Be More Difficult to Obtain Expungements (linked here) (June 2, 2018) (client alert, KYL website)
- Cyber Alert: The Eleventh Circuit has Ruled – FTC Cease and Desist Orders Must Identify Prohibited Conduct with Clarity and Precision (linked here) (June 14, 2008) (client alert, KYL website)
- Employee Data Protection and Privacy Education (October 2018) (speaking engagement)
- “Privacy and Cybersecurity Law” (May 2018) (speaking engagement, Continuing Legal Education seminar)
- “The Art of Persuasion” (July 2012) (speaking engagement, Continuing Legal Education seminar)
- “Utilizing CaseMap, Excel, and CPA Global’s Applied Discovery Leverage Review in Your Legal Practice” (May 2012) (speaking engagement, Continuing Legal Education seminar)
- Selected to Southern California Women’s Edition Rising Star List (Thomson Reuters) (2019–2020) (a designation limited to 2.5% of attorneys in a geographic region)
- Selected to Southern California Rising Star List (Thomson Reuters) (2013–2020) (a designation limited to 2.5% of attorneys in a geographic region)
- The Order of Barristers (2010)