Joshua Norton is a senior associate with Keesal, Young & Logan in its Long Beach office. Joshua has handled a wide spectrum of business disputes and civil litigation matters, but his practice focuses on mortgage and community banking litigation, bankruptcy, appellate, maritime, and securities litigation. Joshua is admitted to practice before all California state and federal courts.
Mortgage and Community Banking Litigation
Joshua’s mortgage banking litigation experience includes the defense of mortgagor claims for wrongful foreclosure, breach of contract, fraud, negligence, unfair business practices, RESPA, TILA, FDCPA, and violations of the California Homeowners’ Bill of Rights. Joshua also represents community banking clients in litigation involving diverse issues, including fraud, negligence, and California’s Uniform Voidable Transactions Act.
In law school, Joshua served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Margaret M. Mann of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of California. In his practice today, Joshua draws on this invaluable experience in his representation of corporate clients in bankruptcy matters and adversary proceedings, including the defense of preference, avoidance, and fraudulent transfer claims, as well as claims based on violation of the automatic stay and the bankruptcy discharge injunction. Joshua also represents creditors in connection with contested matters involving proof of claim objections, motions for relief from the automatic stay, and issues regarding plans of reorganization.
Joshua’s experience as a judicial extern for the Honorable Marilyn L. Huff of the United States District Court for the Southern District of California, and the Honorable M. Margaret McKeown of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit have been critical in the development of his appellate practice. Joshua argues and prepares briefing in connection with appeals before the Ninth Circuit and the California Court of Appeal, as well as bankruptcy appeals before the District Courts and the Ninth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel.
Joshua represents the interests of shipowners, charterers, insurers, ocean carriers, and terminal operators in relation to commercial disputes, personal injuries and casualty investigations, vessel arrests and maritime liens, and advisory matters involving environmental compliance.
Securities and Financial Services Litigation
Joshua’s securities practice includes work on cases defending financial services firms and individual brokers in judicial and arbitration proceedings involving allegations of fraud, negligence, conversion, unsuitability, breach of fiduciary duty, failure to supervise, and violation of state and federal securities laws.
Before practicing law, Joshua enlisted in the United States Army where he served as a microwave radio systems technician and rendered honors at ceremonies and military burials as a member of the Honor Guard. Joshua graduated summa cum laude from Western Michigan University with a B.A. in English and earned his J.D. from the University of San Diego, where he graduated third in his class with magna cum laude distinction. During law school, Joshua earned the State Bar of California’s Wiley W. Manuel Award and the Legal Aid Society of San Diego’s Outstanding Service Award for providing pro bono legal services to victims of domestic violence. Joshua was also a Lead Articles Editor for the San Diego Law Review, President of the American Association for Justice’s intramural trial team, and a competing member of USD’s National Trial Team.
- J.D., University of San Diego (magna cum laude).
- B.A. (English), Western Michigan University (summa cum laude).
- California (2013)
- All California State and Federal Courts
- All United States District Courts in California
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District
- Co-contributor and co-editor, Celebrating Women on the High Seas—in Admiralty Law and Otherwise, The Hon. M. Margaret Mckeown, Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce, Vol. 45, No. 2 (April 2014)
- Associate Lawyer, Maritime Law Association of the United States (2017-present)
- Outstanding Service Award, Legal Aid Society of San Diego (2011)
- Wiley W. Manuel Award, State Bar of California (2011)
- Vice President of Finance, Long Beach Public Library Foundation (Starting 2019)
- Board Member, Long Beach Public Library Foundation (2017-present)
- Operation Standby, ABA Military Pro Bono Project (2017-present)
- Firm liaison for the Assistance League of Long Beach’s Operation School Bell school supplies program (2015-present)